Author Topic: Banks  (Read 4401 times)

Falkland

• Offline Offline
Banks
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:59:09 AM »
Hi
Moving down shortly and wondering if anyone can recommend a good bank that's close by?  My Spanish is awful, so English is a must as is on-line banking in English.
Thanks
Leigh

P & L

• Offline Offline
  • Live for today as nature intended
    • Apartments Jasmine
Re: Banks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
I use Solbank at Puerto Rey perfect English I am also advised that the Caja Mar at Bourgavillas also speak english, they they are the nearest to VP
Apartments Jasmine - www.vera-natura.co.uk

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
We are with Cajamar at Bourganvillas. As P & L  stated. They also speak English.

Roy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
I can recommend Cajamar too.  No current account charges unless you have no transactions in a quarter when you will get charged Euro 4,50 (see my post on Spanish bank charges under General Discussion).  Plus free internet banking and free debit card.  Staff speak English and also happy to deal with queries by email.

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »
Five Spanish banks have failed the EU stress test, ie if there is another financial crisis these banks may not survive.
Catalunya Caixa.
Pastor.
Unnim.
Caja3.
Cam.
Might be an idea to be careful how much you deposit in some Banks.

Falkland

• Offline Offline
Banks
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
Can anyone recommend a bank that is good to work with, speak English, and also have online banking in English?  Need to get an account set up ASAP.  I never realised just how critical a bank account is here! 
Your advice would be very welcome.
Leigh

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
I think you'll find some of your replies in the Flights section. Perhaps they might be moved to this section.

from Administrator
I've merged the two Bank threads and moved them to a more suitable place

Alan
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:51:19 PM by Alan - The Webmaster »

hotrod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Cajamar Bourganvillias. Excellent service. Speak english. Low & less charges than most Spanish banks.

kate

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »
From our initial purchase in VP we used Barclays, as have account in UK and Barclays Spain was convenient at the time as I registered all info online . Barclays Mojacar are all English speaking but I do question their charges and had initially bartered with 'draft charges' and got them reduced by half! - this when paying for property. I do not have to use them for transfer this year... but have found HiFX in Windsor, Berks most efficient and they guarantee no bank charges on receipt of funds to your bank in Spain. Just looked at their rate in comparison to current bank rate and definately ahead, they also have a new deal going so anyone requiring to transfer they do not charge on 1st movement of money. thereafter it would attract a fee but not used the service again..so not sure how much. Barclays Spain I pay 20 euros a quarter for service. I have utilities/community on DD. Is this the same as I would expect to pay for example Cajamar bank? Charges are alien to me as UK based we pay nothing even for drafts etc.

hotrod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »
I used the Halifax in Spain for similar reasons. They were cheaper than Barclays, but much more expensive than Cajamar.Halifax charged to recive money from another bank in euros.

My solictor recommended Cajamar for my house purchase. The exchange rate was the full business one for sterling. They still only charge me 10 euros for cashing a sterling cheque of any amount, into euros, at the full business rate. As a pensioner(65), you get a savings rate of over 3% if you ask for the special accounts.
They do not charge for a debit card, nor do they charge a quarterly charge for service. I pay 3euros for a cash transfer to another bank in euros. However you can often do this free of charge at the post office with their German bank.

A lot of other banks over here were good, but have since started adding on the charges.
That is my experience. Hope it helps.