Author Topic: Bars and Restaurants  (Read 21451 times)

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
Re: Bars and Restaurants
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 02:21:33 PM »
Quick up-date

Back in VP, already tried Pizzeria (El Jardin on hotel street)  Excellent pizza if you like the thin crispy base variety, good selection, still good quality with nice salad.
El Balconcito, had the best Paella we've ever had on Thursday.  New chef in the kitchen - his night off is Wednesday so go another night.  You need to make reservation for paella, meat, fish & seafood, vegetarian or mixed.  We had seafood / fish and it was stunningly good, lots of fish in there and we ordered a paella for 4, asked for a doggy bag and there was enough for another good meal for 2 the day after, 12.50E a head.  Bonito and Hector gave us a warm welcome and excellent tapas,  Alan and Shelly in Frankies as welcoming as ever - as usual we did very poorly in the quiz.  Everybody is raving about their rib-eye steak at 13.50E, we haven't tried it yet but I ordered Chicken Tikka wrap for a light lunch - it would have fed four men!  Excellent.
Going to D'Alvaro for menu del dia Tuesday - will report back. Just going to look for words for tonights 'Proms in the Pub' - our Swiss friend doesn't know Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory!  Party on! Now finishing off Bar Restaurant guide, with Tony as resident photographer, expect new page in main website soon!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

James

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
already tried Pizzeria (El Jardin on hotel street)  Excellent pizza if you like the thin crispy base variety, good selection, still good quality with nice salad.

I had a flyer for El Jardin popped under the wiper blade of my hire car yesterday (Saturday 11th). Unfortunately, I was heading for the airport when I spotted it.

Fortunately, they've helpfully provided a telephone number for home delivery (?) so I'll give it a bash tonight and see how quickly they can get a Frutos del Mar (9.50 euros) delivered to the UK!  :D

Although I am slightly concerned by the 'Veraplaya', which sports tomato, cheese, oregano, ham, tuna and pimientos.  Surely a pizza named after VP should have 'nothing on'.  ;)

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
As promised, update on d'Alvaro at Puerto Rey Roundbout.  A party of 13 of us went there yesterday.  Excellent choices on all courses, 3 course menu del dia and coffee with 1 drink for 12E (16E evenings and Sundays with half bottle of wine).  On offer was Peppers stuffed with Bacalao (salt cod) and prawns, Gazpacho with all the trimmings, stuffed pancakes with cheese sauce and one other (can't remember what) followed by Steak, fillet of pork with thyme, Hake cooked in a parcel with prawns, vegetables and white wine or Tuna steak, cooked in white wine vinegar, white wine, vegetables and a little turmeric then for desserts home-made chocolate pudding (the sort you cut into and the middle oozes out - scrummy) or home-made apple strudel or melon. Everybody thoroughly enjoyed their meal and a good time was had by all.  Tomorrow night we're off to sample the delights offered by James and Mary at Casa Joya.  We don't normally eat out quite so often and quite so special, but yougest son and fiance are here on holiday, we don't see them often and need to spoil them a little!  And Friday night is Al's birthday at Blue Parrot where we expect to see everybody having a good time!  Welcome back snow-birds!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

P & L

• Offline Offline
  • Live for today as nature intended
    • Apartments Jasmine
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
I have only been at lunchtime a couple of times to Casa Joya but the food was exception and very good moderately priced wines , menu del dia at lunch was ? 19 only problem is 2 mile drive down dirt track which is OK in day but will interested to hear your comments at night would also like to know how busy it is at night as we have friends coming over next week and we are looking at Wenesday evening, so really looking forward to your report, I am sure the food will not disappoint.
Apartments Jasmine - www.vera-natura.co.uk

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »
We always go evenings and stay overnight.  If you are principally going for a meal you get a special price for the bed - of course not available if they have a lot of holiday guests.  We have been for dinner when there's only been our party but we have also been when all the tables are full and there's been large Spanish contingent from Velez Rubio.  We're not brave enough to do the drive in the dark - and anyway somebody would have to be tee total. 
I'm considering scanning in typical menu - for places like Casa Joya I can really see the benefit - Tony is busily putting together fabulous photos for bar and restaurant guide - coming soon!

P & L

• Offline Offline
    • Apartments Jasmine
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
Whats the special B& B rate sounds like a great idea

casa joya

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
  • ?Donde dormir y comida?
    • Rural Guesthouse y Gastronomia
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
Been informed that my response is required re:
Whats the special B& B rate sounds like a great idea

The Dinner, Staying Over & Continental Breakfast carries a 5% discount on the room price.  This price applies to those who are dining and enjoying a drink or 6 and don't want to face the Stelvio Pass.
Far From The Madding Crowds

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
Well, as expected, Casa Joya was superb, as always.  The menu is extensive and varied, but we went for Cajun style Sea Bass,  Scallops with Black Pudding,  Thai Prawns, all stunningly good with James' home made bread.  Then for mains, Entrecote steak with Strogonoff sauce,  Duck breast and Pork fillet with apple and sage,  Venison in Red Wine jus and Trout with Prawns.  Fortunately, all our family like to try everything and do a bit of sharing of special food, so I can say with confidence that everything was delicious!  For desserts we had Lemon and Lime Tartlett, Fig and Date Stcky Pudding, Caremalised Pineapple and Dark Chocolate Mousse all washed down with the excellent house wine. Dinner is 28.95E - but for the special occasion it's unbeatable and the surroundings are breathtaking.  The welcome from Mary and James is always the warmest.  Time for some staying in, simple food and eating up left-overs now!  No restaurant reports for a few days anyway!

pamnbru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »
Went to Vera Natura chringuito (ex Sol y Luna) at lunch time a couple of days ago. Nice tapas served with our drinks and then we followed it up with a mixed salad and a plate of mixed fried fish (Vera Natura combinado). Was ample for 4 of us for a light lunch. Food came to about 15 euros, drink prices were reasonable. Nice atmosphere and lovely to be able to sit and look at the sea and watch the world go by.

Seaside Nick (was Seaside Naturist)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »
Well, as expected, Casa Joya was superb, as always.  The menu is extensive and varied, but we went for Cajun style Sea Bass,  Scallops with Black Pudding,  Thai Prawns, all stunningly good with James' home made bread.  Then for mains, Entrecote steak with Strogonoff sauce,  Duck breast and Pork fillet with apple and sage,  Venison in Red Wine jus and Trout with Prawns.  Fortunately, all our family like to try everything and do a bit of sharing of special food, so I can say with confidence that everything was delicious!  For desserts we had Lemon and Lime Tartlett, Fig and Date Stcky Pudding, Caremalised Pineapple and Dark Chocolate Mousse all washed down with the excellent house wine. Dinner is 28.95E - but for the special occasion it's unbeatable and the surroundings are breathtaking.  The welcome from Mary and James is always the warmest.  Time for some staying in, simple food and eating up left-overs now!  No restaurant reports for a few days anyway!

Sounds great!
Where is Casa Joya?
(sorry if I've missed it)

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:55 AM »
http://www.casa-joya.com/ is the website.  You leave the motorway at junction 553, turn inland, drive through Santa Maria de nieva, carry on same road (very winding and mountainous) till you see a sign Velez Rubio 20km, turn right on track 20 metres later by the Casa Joya sign.  Follow the dirt track for a couple of kilometers, right to the end (little yellow triangular flags point the way).  It's worth the drive.

P & L

• Offline Offline
    • Apartments Jasmine
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:04 PM »
Its quite a dark run at night I would suggest Sunday lunch at ? 19 its fantastic value the food is great and the house white wine @ ? 9.00 is really nice , great place

Seaside Nick (was Seaside Naturist)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  :)

We have been along this road when we came back from Los Velez area last year.
We just finished the windy bit before it got too dark. I think I remember seeing the sign.
We might just go up for a visit.

DAVENRAE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
Always a superb meal and a warm welcome. They're quite busy, and only open certain days, so you need to book - can't turn up on spec! Enjoy, and give them our regards! Dave & Rae :)

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
I thought, I'd 'bump' this up to the top,  to see if it is popular. 

Please remember the guidelines that are posted at the beginning from myself and Alan.