Author Topic: Meeting with the Costas  (Read 4144 times)

pamnbru

• Offline Offline
Meeting with the Costas
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
On Tuesday 5 of us went to talk to the Costas. We managed to clarify several issues over who does what to the beach, which is good. We pointed out that tourism is extremely important to the area and the maintaining the beach is essential to keep tourists coming. We put forward our proposals for additional breakwaters and for the water from the storm drain to piped across the beach. The same for Cala Marques and Charco de Gato. The response was fairly negative, he thought more breakwaters would spoil the open aspect of the beach. We said better to have breakwaters than no beach. A long discussion was had over the erosion of the beach by the sea and where the new line will be drawn on the map, but nothing conclusive. Sorry it?s not better news.

We will now try to push Vera council into making the same proposals.

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
Re: Meeting with the Costas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »
Once again, Pam, thanks to the neighbourhood association for working so hard on behalf of all of us who love Vera Playa.  I know it must be frustrating and you must feel that you are banging your heads on a brick wall, but presence, reasonable discussion, regular contact has got to be better than nothing.  We all have the same objectives, protecting the beach, the area, the tourism, the very special nature of Vera Playa as a whole.  I am sure, even if it doesn't seem so, that progress is being made!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

andynpatti

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
Am I the only one who hasn't a clue who the Costas are? Is it the local mafia??? 

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
In Spain one authority has power over all the coastline, they probably have a fancy title but are referred to as 'the costas'.  Very convenient, for instance for the town hall, to say, "That's not our responsibility, that's the costas". Although some services, like beach cleaning, are 'contracted back' to the town hall.  So in VP, for instance, the Town Hall gave permission for the storm drain to go down to the sea from the new builds, but the costas did not give permission for it to cross the beach!  Lunacy!  That's my understanding, anyway, Pam may clarify.
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

Erikk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
Thank you Pam & the others for your efforts.
I think that the strategy to convince Vera Council to make the same proposals is a good one. It would certainly be a great help if experts in this field have the same opinion.
After that perhaps if possible the communal proposals and beliefs of Vera Council and the neigbourhood assocation (and the expert opinion) in one letter to Medio Ambiente/Costas in Almeria and Madrid  ?   

andynpatti

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
In Spain one authority has power over all the coastline, they probably have a fancy title but are referred to as 'the costas'.  Very convenient, for instance for the town hall, to say, "That's not our responsibility, that's the costas". Although some services, like beach cleaning, are 'contracted back' to the town hall.  So in VP, for instance, the Town Hall gave permission for the storm drain to go down to the sea from the new builds, but the costas did not give permission for it to cross the beach!  Lunacy!  That's my understanding, anyway, Pam may clarify.

So these Costas ... not mafia, not a coffee chain but have power over the coastline .... sort of King Canute in a way. Are they elected?

pamnbru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »
Deffinately King Canute. They are meant to be looking after the coastline but their attitude to erosion is ?Not our fault, blame the sea?.  Maureen?s description on what they do is pretty accurate. There is a meeting with the mayor this Tuesday, unfortunately we will not be there as we?re on holiday. Once I?ve had a report from Luis I?ll translate it and put it up.