Author Topic: Vera to Cartagena Toll Road (AP-7)  (Read 4751 times)

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
Vera to Cartagena Toll Road (AP-7)
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
Its a road probably used by many of us at Vera Playa. Its a time saver on the Murcia Airport run. I am sure we've experienced the hassle free motoring along this quiet motorway.
Well, a road building company claiming substantial losses following the construction of the Vera-Cartagena toll road is to sue the ministry of public Works (Fomento).
Construction giant Aucosta is accusing the government of grossly underestimating projected traffic flow for the 114-kilometre stretch of road on the AP-7, which they claim has resulted in huge losses.
They contest that traffic on the road which opened in 2007 is around 70 per cent below the estimated flow, according to the government study in 2004, which also predicted the road would cover its costs in 36 years.
These estimates now appear to be wildly off the mark and the company is demanding compensation through the courts.

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
Re: Vera to Cartagena Toll Road (AP-7)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
There were rumours all last year that the road was going to be nationalised ant toll free. That would be a major benefit if it happened.  It's a fabulous road, but 25? for a return trip to the airport makes the flights there less competitive. It certainly must be losing money on a daily basis, just paying the toll staff.  Much more pleasant driving than the A7 though!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

P & L

• Offline Offline
  • Live for today as nature intended
    • Apartments Jasmine
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I read somewhere that the goverment has decided againt nationalising it and has agreed to pay a yearly suppliment to the builder for the next five years. Will try and find website I found it on.
Apartments Jasmine - www.vera-natura.co.uk

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:51:31 AM »
Apparently its been recorded that 30% of traffic on the AP-7 have foreign registration plates.

James

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
It's a fabulous road, but 25? for a return trip to the airport makes the flights there less competitive.

I agree up to a point, but I'm quite happy to pay that precisely because it's quiet. Stepping off a plane to pick up a car I'm not wholly confident where all the controls are, on the edge of dark, and hassle-free, low volume traffic on the AP7 makes it a winner in my eyes.

It's sort of door to door between San Javier and Vera, and I get the opportunity to familiarise myself with an alien hire car on the 90 minute drive, so the 25 euro is a small price to pay for much less driving tension, and to ease into a holiday in relatively relaxed frame of mind. I don't think I'd like to take the parallel, toll-free road again, surrounded by lorries buzzing along at 70mph. It makes for a more fraught arrival and departure from VP to adopt that course of action, personally.

I'm always happy to stump up the toll fee for an easy slide into my hols.

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
I pretty much endorse your preferences James 1. If its use, is not a daily occurrence, I will build the return fees into the cost of my holiday. I am therefore happy enough for the AP-7 to remain a toll road.