Author Topic: Extended smoking ban  (Read 4885 times)

Sun4us

• Offline Offline
Extended smoking ban
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
How is the new extended smoking ban, which came into effect on 1st. Jan in Spain, affecting the bars and restaurants around VP, and Almeria in general? Is this sign now a thing of the past?

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
Re: Extended smoking ban
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »
I only know it's making our very own Mr Angry very vocal on facebook!  I think that smokers can use the 'toldo' areas outside the bars - let's hope the weather stays warm!  John and I have a difference of opinion over this one, John, although a non smoker, thinks it's an infringement of personal rights and will damage the bars.  I don't like breathing other people's smoke and the smell it leaves on my clothes - so I'm glad to see the ban.  Most smokers in the UK are very considerate, but that has not been the case in Spain - I've been sitting eating, mid course, in a Spanish restaurant when somebody has lit up right next to me - awful.  We've had guests who won't eat out in restaurants because they are so put off by the smoky atmosphere.  As we see in the UK, the good pubs survive, even thrive despite a smoking ban.
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

Sun4us

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
I am a smoker (I wish I wasn't!) but I would never consider lighting up in areas where other folk are eating. But I think the ban has gone too far, there should be rooms and areas where people can smoke, and non-smokers can avoid if they wish. The choice should be with the individual.  It has been the final nail in the coffin for many country pubs in GB, a host of them are closing down each week. Whilst the non-smokers may appreciate the ban, they are often not the one's who were regular pub goers. I hope the bars and clubs in Spain are not affected as much as here. Time will tell.

Dave Carter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
The editor of the Euro Weekly explaining the new smoking ban on Spectrum Radio a few days before christmas, stated that under the new law, smoking is banned in any enclosure having two or more sides, and that therfore, bars and restaurants having covered outside areas, can allow smoking in these areas when only using one side as a wind break in the summer, but not when the area is fully enclosed as in the winter. Will it be enforced?

whatapieceofworkisman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »
Let us hope the new ban is enforced as it is in the UK for the health and consideration of all.

But wouldn't it wonderful if they could extend a smoking ban to include the beach.  How many times have folk parked themselves downwind of us and then lit up, letting us smoke their cigarettes for them?  TOO MANY!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
In some parts  of US one can have a Gun in your Office but not an Ashtray

kenb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
Fortunately I have been a non-smoker for many years but I was a 40 a day addict. I suppose a smoking ban has helped persuade many people to give up and therefore prolonged their lives. But I must say we must must show tolerance to those who can't or won't give up. Smoking on the beach and outdoors is surely not such a frightful thing for non-smokers and the odd whiff of smoke is harmless enough. I do  however object to the never rotting filter tips everywhere. But let's live and let live especially at VP!
Ken

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »
They used to give away beach ashtrays (they looked a bit like a blue ice cream cone) at the tourist office in Mojacar - you just half filled them with sand, used them for your dog-ends, and tip them in the bin on the way off the beach.  Very good.  I remember on the beautiful naturist beach on Tavira Island, on Portugal, the chiringuitos loaned out 'baked beans tins' similarly, half filled with sand - for use on their pristine beach.  Steve's sunbeds (run by Ian) supply ashtrays. 
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

johntinana

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
So the beach is a large place not inclosed,you could have the right to ask your smoking neighbour to either move or extinguish the offending cigarette.I trust you will inform us of his or her reply to you.May i bring your attention too.The total ban of dogs on all beaches all year round,this is totally ignored by all dog owners.So how would you expect a cigarette ban to be policed on the beach,if they cant police the dog law.I would sooner stand on an extinguished cigarette end,than on a pile of dog excrement anytime.Good luck with you misson.

Yulia and Sergey

• Offline Offline
    • www.vera-playa-apartment.es
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »
How many times have folk parked themselves downwind of us and then lit up, letting us smoke their cigarettes for them?  TOO MANY!
This is a problem everywhere in the open: on the beach, at the restaurant, on the prominade etc - every place you happen to stop and keep for a while. Ironically, it arreared like if smokers had options: to place themselves downwind or upwind of other people, they most of the time selected the first.  :-\ But OK, on the open air this was not really making us smoke (and probably wasn't dangerous to health), but rather spoiling the atmosphere, the cleanness of air we traveled thousands miles to breath, making us tense, no longer able to relax. Smokers who do so, enjoy their cigarette at the expense of other people ceasing to enjoy the place.

Fortunately, the wind is strong on the coast most of the time, and if we managed to get to the farthest downwind line, in the restaurant or on the beach, we were OK. But we didn't always had this option, which made us to pass by Chiringita Naturista we hoped to have a meal at and opt for dining in the kitchen or terrace in the apartment.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:14:35 PM by yulia_and_sergey_at_vn146 »
yulia & sergey

kate

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
Yulia & sergey: I consider as a smoker,  I am very aware that now it is not acceptable to smoke where others may be offended.  In our home in UK I now employ a caterer rather than go out to eat, as I and friends like to smoke (age a factor + 60)  between courses but know it is  no longer acceptable in restaurants, loss to restaurants but good for private enterprise. this is now big business here in London. I am very aware when on the beach in VP that when smoking (I also have grandchildren) I hope I am far enough away not to offend and do not litter beach with butts. I find it a shame there is no compronise but I have been smoking since the age of 13 so no hope for me! p.s. Apart from one,  all my immediate family are non-smokers and I am very happy with that.

Sun4us

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:47 AM »
For goodness sake, surely we are not now trying to have smoking banned on the beach! I don't smoke anymore, but I do have sympathies with those who do. Why can't there be dedicated smoking areas, or rooms in bars, or pubs that allow smoking? Then those who object to it can have the choice of not going there. At the moment the smokers are getting less and less choice of where they can light up. And that, without question, is discrimitatory. VP is a place we can feel free to not wear clothes. Lets keep it a place where we are free to live the life we want to. And if people want to smoke, so be it. Live and let live!

Yulia and Sergey

• Offline Offline
    • www.vera-playa-apartment.es
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »
Of course, everyone supports freedom here. But if one wants to enjoy clear air, one must be able to. We wish all the people were respecting others like kate. Freedom easily turns into domination when one appears not care of other people's likes/dislikes. (Turning TV loud by the time neighbours preparing to sleep is another example). And sorry to tell, but about smokers it happened, like whatapieceofworkisman said, quite too often.

And of course nobody suggests the complete smoking ban (just because this is just impossible to follow). We were only talking about selecting a right place. There is a lot of space on the beach and always many free tables in restaurant in the outside. Just consider a wind direction before you light up or are taking a seat. Let other people also enjoy this beautiful place.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:38:53 AM by yulia_and_sergey_at_vn146 »
yulia & sergey