Author Topic: 24-hour time  (Read 809 times)

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
24-hour time
« on: 19 February 2020, 19:56:47 PM »
Why are the times of posts displayed in 12-hour time with AM or PM? In writing, not only in English but even more in Spanish, it is more common to display times in 24-hour format. Writing 12-hour times with AM or PM is more American than European, even though European native English speakers will say the time as a 12-hour time. Also given that the forum appears to be set to Spanish time, it is even more reason to use 24-hour time. In most forums, each user can set their own preference, but I see no preference for this in the account settings.

aaron

• Offline Offline
Re: 24-hour time
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2020, 20:15:32 PM »
Profile > Account Settings > Modify Profile > Look and Layout

Alan - The Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2020, 20:40:31 PM »
Administrator Comment Thanks aaron, you beat me to it. SunWorshipper, I agree with you I prefer 24-hour clock so I've changed it globally, you don't have to change your profile, unless of course you prefer 12-hour clock. Alan
« Last Edit: 19 February 2020, 20:42:06 PM by Alan - The Webmaster »
Webmaster www.veraplayafriends.com and www.veraplayafriends.com/forum
Loves holidaying in Vera Playa

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
Re: 24-hour time
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2020, 08:34:57 AM »
Thanks for changing this and for the advice about where individual users can change their own settings. I've also found that one can change the time zone in the same settings, which is useful.

I suggest that you also consider changing the date format. While month-day-year is favoured by the United States, it is understood by British people if the month is in words, as it is here. But please consider our Spanish and other European friends for whom month-day-year is not intuitive at all. I would suggest dd mmmm yyyy, for example 21 February 2020.

Alan - The Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2020, 17:30:00 PM »
Administrator Comment Way back when I set up this forum (would you believe that was over 10 years ago) I set up my profile so it looked how I wanted, including the date and time format then completely forgot about it it as it always looked OK to me. I have now changed the global format again. Alan
Webmaster www.veraplayafriends.com and www.veraplayafriends.com/forum
Loves holidaying in Vera Playa