Author Topic: Contactless payments at naturist bars, restaurants and chiringuitos  (Read 1977 times)

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
Although we take smartphones and/or smart watches to the beach, we avoid taking cash, wallets or purses. Without the pockets of clothes, the less to carry the better. Do Vera Playa's naturist establishments, particularly the chiringuitos, accept contactless card payments?

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline

zvone

• Offline Offline
Re: Contactless payments at naturist bars, restaurants and chiringuitos
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2020, 23:09:41 PM »
Hard to say because situation change every year. Most bars have contactless payment but still for sun bed or umbrella and all small thinks on the beach, you need some change. I have case for my mob with small pockets and there is always place for 5, 10 euro notes.

danmar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2020, 10:07:05 AM »
Hello Sunworshipper, sadly your query is now irrelevant as all the bars and chirinquitos are now closed until further notice but when open most of the larger bars and chirinquitos accept credit cards.

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2020, 18:50:20 PM »
sadly your query is now irrelevant as all the bars and chirinquitos are now closed until further notice
Yes, when I first asked my question in early February, they were also closed. This question is for the future, not for the time of writing.

but when open most of the larger bars and chirinquitos accept credit cards.
It's not a question of whether they accept cards in general, but specifically whether they accept contactless cards. Taking physical cards to the beach is not particularly desirable, but most smartphones and smartwatches have contactless payment functionality.

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
https://www.ft.com/content/430b8798-92e8-4b6a-946e-0cb49c24014a

The article says that "cash volumes in Spain dropped as much as 90 per cent".

I hope that one will be able to enjoy a totally cashless holiday in Vera Playa. Although banknotes aren't a high risk, the virus can remain on coins for several days while they are passed back and forth between multiple consumers and businesses.

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
The following establishments accept cards including contactless:
  • Pizzería Jardin
  • El Balconito Four Seasons
  • Chiringuito Cota Zero (El Pirata)
  • Chiringuito Naturista (Restaurante Chill Out)
  • Chiringuito La Golondrina

The following establishments still don't accept cards at all, even during COVID-19, and even in 2020:
  • La Alcabaza
  • Chiringuito Natsun
  • Chiringuito La Cañita Loca
  • Cafeteria Paso Doble

The map is now one year old. Please could the map be updated to indicate whether or not an establishment accepts cards? This is far more important than whether an establishment offers free wifi, which was useful only before the EU banned roaming surcharges in 2017. With Coronavirus, card acceptance is far more important. I suggest a card symbol if the establishment accepts cards or the same card symbol with a red X over it if it does not accept cards.

This information is important to attract younger people who don't use cash.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2020, 09:19:40 AM by SunWorshipper »

Phil B-C

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
Good point, well presented.

I'll have a look using the examples you have supplied as a starting point.

Phil

Phil B-C

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2020, 18:19:11 PM »
Sorry SunWorshipper,

All done at my end but I'm having trouble connecting to upload (currently waiting for assistance).

That being said, I'm sure many other establishments also do "card and/or contactless" so, unless visitors update me, it's impossible to keep the map totally up to date as I'm stuck in the UK and we had to abandon our 2020 holiday.

ALL MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE: Anyone and everyone can update me on map errors/improvements and each will be considered on it's merits.

Phil

« Last Edit: 22 September 2020, 18:22:25 PM by Phil B-C »

Phil B-C

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
All done but no doubt there are other establishments who also accept cards and/or who are contactless.

Please feel free to pass on any updates.

Phil

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2020, 20:22:22 PM »
All done but no doubt there are other establishments who also accept cards and/or who are contactless.
Thanks Phil. It looks good, although I would say that the hand looks bigger than the card, so it might not be obvious what the symbol means without looking at the bottom of the map.

In the same way that the map shows specifically whether an establishment is known to be non-naturist-friendly, it might also be useful to show specifically whether an establishment is known to be non-card-friendly. Otherwise the non-card-friendly establishments appear the same as unknowns.

Hopefully other forum members can check their bank or credit card statements, even from previous years, to add names of more card-friendly establishments. On that subject, the supermarket does accept cards (unsurprisingly).
« Last Edit: 25 September 2020, 20:25:29 PM by SunWorshipper »

John Devon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2020, 15:05:13 PM »
Phil,  the restaurant Lua (opposite Consum) certainly takes credit cards. Not sure about contactless; the bill's always too high to be within that limit!

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
Not sure about contactless; the bill's always too high to be within that limit!
The €50 contactless limit applies only to physical cards without a PIN. It doesn't apply to contactless using smartphones, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, which is authenticated using a fingerprint or PIN on the smartphone.

SunWorshipper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8828459/Coronavirus-survive-MONTH-surfaces-including-banknotes-mobile-phone-screens.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/virus-responsible-covid-19-can-22829050

As the virus can remain on banknotes for up to 28 days, there's no excuse for some establishments to require payment in cash. It's a public health risk, as infected banknotes and coins can be circulated between customers and restaurants. Why do customers and the authorities tolerate no-cards policies?

rosa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2020, 17:48:42 PM »
Phil, Broadway and Puntonat accept contactless payments, I recently paid there with my smartphone. Rosa