Author Topic: Car rental advice  (Read 1259 times)

Young Couple

• Offline Offline
Car rental advice
« on: January 24, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
Hello,

We would love some advice from the community regarding our transport situation.

So we are arriving to VP but landing in Málaga. After VP we are heading straight to Madrid. We want to hire a car to visit Cabo de Gata and the area in general so we have some questions:

• What kind of terrain will we encounter in Cabo de Gata? Will the smallest of compacts be able to make it or better get a small sedan?
  • We were thinking on hiring in Málaga, drive from there to VP and then back to Málaga to return the car and take a bus or train to Madrid. Does this make any sense?
  • Are we better off taking a bus from Málaga to Almería and then renting the car in Almería and at the end of our trip take the bus or train to Madrid from Almería?
  • What would you do in our situation?

Grateful for your insights!

John Devon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
I've only hired at airports, where I've done the deal in advance, usually using big name firms (CICAR in the Canaries being the exception).
From hiring elsewhere in the world, some car hire companies don't like one direction only hires.
That may be a limiting factor in deciding which firm to use. Others with better experience in mainland Spain may be able to add further advice.
I've only driven once in Cabo de Gata - just at the north end. It was my own car, so I didn't go off road!

Young Couple

• Offline Offline
Re: Car rental advice
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »
Thank you John. We were not thinking on doing a one direction hire as we agree it is generally much more expensive. But we were thinking perhaps on taking a bus from Málaga to Almería and renting there, that way we avoid the drive back to Málaga only to immediately head to Madrid via Bus.

Bisnick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »
I would imagine it would be easier to rent from Malaga airport. If you add a trip by coach/bus to Almeria and then rent you could well be in Vera with all the time that would take. On your return you could take the excellent train service up to Madrid in round about 2 1/2 hrs.
 Leave at least 4hr 15m without stops for the Journey from Malaga.
The roads around Cabo de Gata are fine with plenty of parking spots for hiking as long as you don't go off onto dirt tracks. Not a good idea with a hire car.
There is a train service from the airport into the centre.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:49:06 PM by Bisnick »

Young Couple

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »
Thank you Bisnick, that's excellent advice. We will most likely go for a rental Málaga-Málaga then.

We don't plan on going off road or anything extreme, however all the paths inside Cabo de Gata (Parking for Genoveses and Mosul) do seem to be non-paved. I reckon a small car can do them anyway.

Thanks!

RobnDee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »
Best to check how far you can drive the rental car. We've had a 2000km limit previously.

Young Couple

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I've seen most offering a daily allowance of about 150 or 200km. I think it should be enough, but definitely need to take it into account. What I'm more worried about is the huge deposits they require in the CC and insurance.

the sandeys

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
Hi,
We always book our cars through DoYouSpain, they appear to be the cheapest and can give you very good and cost effective fully comp insurance.  Never had any mileage restrictions with them, been from VP to Granada and Seville on different occasions without any limitations. The Firefly car hire desk at Murcia told us a few years ago they were cheaper than booking direct. Good luck .

Roy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »
I recommend that you also try Zest car rental www.zestcarrental.com  Their prices are reasonable, usually with unlimited mileage, and include excess protection insurance which is an expensive extra with most other car rental companies.  Or you can choose to arrrange your own excess insurance at a reasonable price with a company such as www.insurance4carhire.com

Make sure that you go for the option of collecting the car with a full tank of fuel and returning with a full tank. Some rental companies charge very high fuel prices for filling up the tank at the end of the rental if you haven't done it.

Happy motoring in Spain.

Roy

Young Couple

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations!

This might be a longshot as it seems almost everyone here is from the UK... but would anyone happen to know if an International Drivers License is required to rent/drive in Spain?

My permit is non-EU however it is written in Spanish (I understand that international Driver's Licenses are generally used for translation purposes).

Anyone have concrete information on this? Thanks!