Author Topic: Security on the Beach  (Read 322 times)

JAL25

• Offline Offline
Security on the Beach
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
Curious about security on the beach and what visitors have found to be best practices.  For example, supposing you want leave your chair/umbrella and some personal belongings like a cooler, maybe a small bag, while going into the water  ... anyone found this to be problem or folks pretty good about noticing if someone is walking around digging into stuff that isn't theirs?  I know at our local beach the general unspoken understanding is that neighbors generally keep an eye on neighbors stuff and there's rarely a problem.

Phil B-C

• Administrator
  • Online Online
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:13:12 AM »
Perhaps if you asked someone close by to keep an eye on your belongings, but personally I wouldn't recommend leaving ANY personal belongings unattended on ANY beach in ANY country !

Having said that, a couple of years ago I did accidentally leave a pot of euros (about 150) on a table at the Pirate Bar and someone kindly handed it in to the bar staff … there are still some nice honest people about   :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:30:30 AM by Phil B-C »

John Devon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
When we were there last September (roll on this September) I noticed that several couples or groups would leave their towels, chairs and beach umbrellas untattended whilst they went for lunch (no not at Cota Zero) without problem. I'm not sure that we would want to risk it...…...

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
Re: Security on the Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
Every time we are at VP we see singles, couples and families leave their things on the beach and go off for walks, drinks or lunch. In May, a couple laying on the beach near us left their towels, umbrella, 2 chairs, cool box and a beach bag and went off hand in hand along the beach. Almost 2 hours later I set off for a walk along past Pirates Bar, Natsun and the Hotel and walked along to the end of Cala Marques beach and saw the couple sitting talking to another couple! About half an hour after I returned back to where my wife was on the beach they actually reappeared, some 3 hours after originally leaving! Amazing! That is the ultimate in having confidence in people's good nature not to interfere with their things!

Though seeing people leave their things regularly for half an hour or so, it is not something I have done or would consider doing. Better be safe than sorry. The thought of someone taking our bag with my chicken salad and cakes in is too much to bear!!!!!

frankandelaine

• Frank and Elaine
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »
Thankfully in over 12 years of visiting Vera Playa we have never had any problems at all with thefts on the various beaches we use. Having said that a bit of common sense goes a long way. Don't bring large amounts of cash or jewelry with you. We tend to leave wallets and purses etc in the car. I know cars can be broken into, but at least you can't lose items in the sand or sea. But.......if you're going to the beach, only bring the cash you may need, for refreshments or whatever. Don't bring large amounts of cash or jewelry then you can minimise losses in the worst case scenario.

JAL25

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:26:35 AM »
Great feedback everyone.