Author Topic: Has the new anti-nudist law been applied to anyone?  (Read 6934 times)

socrates

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
Has the new anti-nudist law been applied to anyone?
« on: 10 June 2018, 16:05:00 PM »
I have always enjoyed long walks along the strand at Playa Vera. Early morning I have even come across nude walkers almost as far up as Puerto del Rey, not something I would do.  Nevertheless a morning walk past the hotel and onto the Cuevas Del Almanzora beach seems perfectly reasonable, and at least last year, lots of people were of a similar mind. Only once did I notice a life guard come running down to wave the naked couple off and send them back toward Playa Vera. Otherwise no one ever batted an eyelid.

Now this anti-nudity law takes hold. It seems inconceivable to me that just a few metres from hundreds of people enjoying the beach en pelotas as they say in Spanish, that an invisible line represents a step into a huge fine.  So this new law seems both unfair and preposterous.   

We are returning to Vera in July. I will be sad if a morning stroll down that far is now off limits. My question for the forum is this – has the law been applied? Have fines been handed out? Have people been reprimanded by the authorities?

My hope is that this is one of those laws that is simply unworkable and not implemented. (And it would be nice to see that rather alarming warning on the map toned down)

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
Re: Has the new anti-nudist law been applied to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2018, 20:19:56 PM »
I visit VP frequently during the year and have always enjoyed long walks along the section you are talking about. On my last trip, just 2 weeks ago, I set off from in front of Vera Natura, walked past the Pirate Bar, Natsun and to the outcrop of rocks, past the Hotel and to the end of that section where the lavish KOKOMO beach house is situated on Playa de Marques. Having reached this point, where a mixture of naturist and textiles were sunbathing, I stopped as my understanding is that at this point, by the Chiringuito, is where the new rule applies from, and yet two naturist couples were openly strolling around the rocks and entering the next part of the beach, which I would have done last year.

As I watched, the 2 couples stopped and were engaged in conversation with several textile people sitting on the beach, after which they turned around and walked back to the section where I was standing. As they approached I could hear them chatting in English so I acted the innocent party and asked them if it was ok to keep walking on the beach any further. They told me that this was their first time in Vera Playa and they had been told politely by some people on the next stretch of beach that the naturist section ended where we were and also that the previous week someone at the next chiringito had telephoned the police about some naturists still walking along the beach despite it being out of bounds, so they had decided to not risk it and to turn back where I met them.

Now take this as you will but I am certainly not going to risk being accosted by a police officer waiting at the chiringuito as I walk past, especially as I am fully aware that the law is against me. Yes it does cut short my walk but there are a lot worse things in life aren't there? On top of this, I have spent most of my working life overseas and have always adopted the view that when in somebody else's country you abide by their laws, whether or not we agree with all of them. And this is certainly the case here.

Regarding the warning on the map, I do find it very prudent and sensible to ensure the message really does sink in that we cannot go past that particular point, or else people will say that they didn't know about it........
« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 20:30:42 PM by uninhibited »

socrates

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2018, 20:43:12 PM »
Okay, good to know, thanks for the information, uninhibited. I am disappointed, but you are prudent, best stay on the right side of the law.

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2018, 20:54:46 PM »
You are welcome. I changed my walking routine and decided to walk the route twice instead of once each morning and included walking around past Pasa Doble, Natsun, along past Oh La La and back along the western side of the Pirate Bar. Still an interesting walk and nothing to worry about!

Phil B-C

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2018, 22:06:41 PM »
it would be nice to see that rather alarming warning on the map toned down

To "tone down a warning" is surely defeating the object, especially if arrest and/or 750 Euros might be at stake ?

However, I have done it (anything for a quiet life) but I won't upload until a more significant update is notified.

« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 22:10:05 PM by Phil B-C »

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2018, 22:23:14 PM »
Phil I don't think you should change it at all. It is a serious thing to have this law change and there may well be many who do not know about it but the map will bring it to their attention.

Sad to say but once somebody flaunts the rule and is caught and fined perhaps everyone will realise then that the law really is the law and not a joke thing.

Phil B-C

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2018, 22:31:49 PM »
Dammed if I do, dammed if I don't !!!

As the saying goes "I ***kin give up" ! (tongue in cheek LOL).
« Last Edit: 10 June 2018, 22:43:33 PM by Phil B-C »

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2018, 22:52:24 PM »
LOL Phil I think you KNOW what you should do........................................

socrates

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2018, 23:17:17 PM »
Thank you Phil for ALL the work you have done on the map, it is a great addition to the visitor's experience. And a lovely piece of work in general. (I am not at all expecting anything to be changed but I am glad you are willing to listen to suggestions, however quirky they sound. Again thank you).

Don't ever f***ing give up or we are all doomed here!!

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2018, 23:27:46 PM »
Very well put Socrates. I agree entirely.

Phil, sorry you are stuck with us for a few more years yet!!!!!!!!!!

Ghon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2018, 09:32:42 AM »
I can't see this being enforced, not in July or August anyway.
Cota Zero textile? I don't think so

aaron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2018, 09:47:50 AM »
I can't see this being enforced, not in July or August anyway.
Cota Zero textile? I don't think so

Cota Zero is still firmly in the naturist zone, dont worry! See the map

Ghon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2018, 14:24:50 PM »
Yes, you're right

I think we go through this every year, one way or another.
It was last summer or 2016 when there was trouble in Natura World, when textiles were not allowed in the pools. Cops were called too.

Roy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2018, 14:40:24 PM »
The police do drive occasionally around the roads near the beach but I have never seen police on either the naturist or textile beaches.  The chances of the police warning or fining someone for being naturist on the textile beach to the north of El Chumbo are very low. There are no warning signs on the beach that naturist use is banned so ignorance of the ban would be a valid excuse (not every visitor looks at Phil's map).

There are warning signs on Vera Playa both textile and naturist beaches that dogs and fishing are banned during the summer. Those bans are ignored regularly  and I have never seen any enforcement action by the police or Vera Council beach staff.

uninhibited

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2018, 16:12:34 PM »
On my recent visit a couple of weeks ago we saw several policemen on foot by the Canita Loca bar on 2 occasions and when meeting some friends for a drink at Chiringuito Playa Turquesa we noticed a police jeep parked at the end of the road behind the bar with 2 policemen leaning against the bonnet. As we have not really notice police in the area before these 2 occasions stood out. I, for one, would not risk tempting fate and walking naked along a stretch of beach that I KNEW was against the law.

I think again it comes with respecting the laws of the country you are visiting. Heck, it is so easy to take a pair of shorts with you and simply put them on if you wish to continue walking along a textile stretch of beach!

Hmmmmm........thinking about it why didn't I think of that 2 weeks ago????? Never mind, less than 3 weeks to go before back again.