Author Topic: Insecure password  (Read 850 times)

STEPHEN

• Offline Offline
Insecure password
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »
I use Firefox browser. Recently, I notice that as soon as I enter my username to login, and before I enter my password, the following message [ shown in inverted commas ]  appears         
  " Insecure password warning in Firefox

Firefox will display a lock icon with red strike-through red strikethrough icon in the address bar when a login page you’re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password, it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers.

Starting in Firefox version 52, you will also see a warning message when you click inside the login box to enter a username or password. "

I am a bit puzzled by this as it has only appeared relatively recently.  Looks like an issue for long-suffering Alan

Alan - The Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »
How technical shall I get with this reply - mmmm

The reason you are getting this message is because Firefox have decided to notify their users when logging in to sites that do not use HTTPS/SSL certificate and encryption, oh dear I fear I've lost some of you already.

The website/forum was originally set up in 2000 when security was not such a big problem, so the software "out of the box" was installed and used. It didn't  use any encryption. To set up secure encryption that Firefox is now expecting would require purchasing a security certificate (known as a SSL certificate), then converting the website to use this certificate. Any problems during this conversion and we would end up with a dead website/forum. So I'm a bit nervous about taking on this task. I'll put some more thought into it.

In the mean time it's business as usual. The checking can be turned off in Firefox but that's probably not a good idea.

Alan
Webmaster www.veraplayafriends.com and www.veraplayafriends.com/forum
Loves holidaying in Vera Playa

andreas

Re: Insecure password
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »
Firefox, which used to be the browser of choice for many people, is becoming increasingly unusable.  I now mainly use Chrome.