Author Topic: Car hire at Murcia 2017  (Read 3376 times)

andreas

Car hire at Murcia 2017
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
Will need a hire car from Murcia airport in June/July 2017.  Which is the current favourite firm?  I've had poor experiences with Goldcar and a very bad experience indeed with Solmar.  I'm not looking for a shiny new car necessarily, but would prefer to avoid the worst of the insurance scams and fuel rip-offs.

frankandelaine

• Frank and Elaine
  • Offline Offline
Re: Car hire at Murcia 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
We've used Dave Baxter the last few years and never had a problem,and certainly never been ripped off.

Al Andalus Car Hire

andreas

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:21:36 PM »
We've used Dave Baxter the last few years and never had a problem,and certainly never been ripped off.

Al Andalus Car Hire

I looked at AlAndalus - quite expensive though and extra for insurance. I also see that they don't take debit/credit cards, so does that mean they don't take a deposit against the excess?

frankandelaine

• Frank and Elaine
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
They are a bit more expensive than some , but the fact that they deal in cash is a bonus for me as I don't have a credit card. And the extra for insurance is for excess,which is optional. We buy our annual excess insurance at home (Ireland) which is a one off charge for as many trips as you want, for about 50 euro.
Again, they may be more expensive than say Goldcar, but  you wont be ripped off.
We have used them 5 or 6 times trouble free.

andreas

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
OK, with most car hire places, if they find damage when you return the car they deduct money from the excess deposit and refund the rest to you.  If Al Andalus find damage, do you have to produce extra wads of cash?

frankandelaine

• Frank and Elaine
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
Don't know. Never been in that situation,thank God. But they don't ask for a deposit,and thats what excesss insurance is for anyway. Like all car rental firms, it's up to you to check the car before you leave ( take pics with your phone is a good idea ), and report any obvious scratches or dents before you drive off.
But ass I said, we have never had any negative issues with Al Andalus.

Roy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »
Yes, Al Andalus are not the cheapest car hire company.  But you get what you pay for. How many other companies let you complete all the paperwork in advance, you don't have to pay in cash, you can pay in advance by bank transfer, the car is waiting for you at the airport, you are given the keys and drive off.  On return, just hand back the keys. No queuing, no hassle.   

Buy excess insurance online before you you go. I have an annual policy covering Europe including car rental in the UK. It cost £39 and is worth it even if you only rent a car for two weeks in the year.

Last but not least Dave and Anita Baxter, and Noreen who handles the bookings are all nice people to deal with. Remember that when you are next in a long queue at an airport rental desk and still have to produce your documents, complete the paperwork, argue about extra charges, insist you really don't want expensive extra insurance etc. 

lofty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »
We used Coys Rent a Car last year for the first time and they were brilliant. Paper work all done in advance, no queuing, English man met us in arrivals and we were on our way in a couple of minutes. We hope to get back to Vera in June 2017 and I've already reserved another car from them. I would highly recommend.  :;:;

lofty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to say, we had our own insurance excess cover and it was no problem. There was no trying to hard sell us extortionate additional cover. They will supply the car with the amount of fuel you request at normal prices as well.