Author Topic: The Molly Malone Quiz - Frankies Bar, on Sunday 28th March at 5:00  (Read 3485 times)

Tony

• Offline Offline
  • Tony
    • Tony's Blog
I have reposted this on behalf of Rob and Bel

Molly Malone alive and well in Almer?a

"In Dublin's fair city,
where the girls are so pretty,
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone,
As she wheeled her wheel-barrow,
Through streets broad and narrow,
Crying, "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive, oh!"

So starts the popular Irish song, Molly Malone - about a beautiful fishmonger who plied her trade on the streets of Dublin, but who died young, of a fever. It has since become the unofficial anthem of the city and the lady herself has been further immortalised in a statue erected in Dublin in 1987.

But here in Almer?a we have our very own Molly Malone . . . thanks to the efforts of Dubliners Ray and Siobhan who, since 2004, have sponsored and run the Molly Malone "Quiz of Quizzes" - an annual competition between the bars, bowling clubs and other organisations, to see who has the best quiz team in the region. Last year, this grand prize was won by Frankies Bar on Vera Playa (so they will be hosting the event in 2010) but previous winners have included The Jolly Lemon in Moj?car, Music Musica, The Almanzora Group of Friends, and the Old Tavern.

This year however, Ray and Siobhan have decided to relinquish the responsibility of actually running the event and, in a ceremonial presentation at Frankies Bar on 2nd February, they officially handed over the quiz to Bel and Rob Old - residents of Vera Playa and themselves accomplished quizzers. Ray and Siobhan will continue to sponsor the event, supply the prizes and support it as they always have done, raising money for Asprodalba - a local centre for people with learning difficulties, which is very dear to their hearts. "It all started with us raising small funds for St. Patrick's Day on the Los Gallardos Campsite," said Siobhan, "but became an 'event' when Spectrum Radio began hosting the Monday night quiz on the campsite. We returned form Ireland one year, with one of the special little Molly Malone trophies and so the quiz got its name." Many past competitors and supporters attended the event including members of last year's winning team David and Val Willmin along with Andy Cooper from Cabrera Bowling, and many from Los Gallardos such as Bill White of the Coffin Dodgers, Anne Tuplin, Social Secretary, and of course 'Uncle Albert' and 'Noah'. "Over the years, almost 18,000 euros has been raised for Asprodalba and much fun has been had to see who can produce the finest team of quizzers in the area," added Ray. In a rallying call Siobhan said "It is vital in these difficult times to support the bars and restaurants that did so much for good causes like Asprodalba."

The 2010 quiz will be held in Frankies Bar, Vera Playa on Sunday 28th March at 5:00 o'clock. To enter your own team, please contact Bel or Rob Old on 660733442. Entries require a minimum of 50 euros as a donation to Asprodalba (although some teams raise substantially more by collecting throughout the year on their individual quiz nights). There will also be a raffle on the day and Rob and Bel are asking for donations of prizes for the event. Other competitors in the past have included the Cabrera and Almer?a Lawn Bowling clubs, Los Gallardos Camping and Leisure, Taberna Cristina in Villaricos, Unity Lodge 98 of Moj?car and Mes?n el que Faltaba - last year's runners up at the Kimrick in Moj?car.

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
Re: The Molly Malone Quiz - Frankies Bar, on Sunday 28th March at 5:00
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »
This looks set to be an amazing night - and the profits for an amazing charity.  We're not good quizzers - but we are good fund raisers - tell us what we can do to help!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

Lipstickgirl

• Offline Offline
Re: The Molly Malone Quiz - Frankies Bar, on Sunday 28th March at 5:00
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
The song "Molly Malone" brings back many happy memories for me, as for 10 years I worked in a Residential Home for the elderly in the uk and it was the residents favourite song.  Many suffered with alzheimers but amazingly could belt out the chorus to Molly Malone! It always sends tingles down my back and reminds me of some lovely ladies who are sadly no longer with us.
So, I hope you have a brilliant quiz night in March, I wont be in VP at that time but would like to contribute in some way to the evening if I can.  Any suggestions?
Lipstickgirl