Author Topic: Domestic Electrical Applinces  (Read 2549 times)

stewNsusie

• Offline Offline
Domestic Electrical Applinces
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
As we are planning to move over in Feb we are thinking about what we will need to bring with us, in particular small domestic electrical appliances.  Apart from the plug bit and transportation are these items cheaper to buy locally or would be be better off buying in UK and bringing with us?  We are just about to buy a steam mop and we would hate to pay more for it if we can get it cheaper in Spain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stew

Gary Dutton

• Offline Offline
Re: Domestic Electrical Applinces
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
It really is a case of swings and roundabouts.  I brought a lot of stuff over from the UK but those things I've subsequently purchased locally have been a fair price but it does pay to shop around.  Some things (bed linen for example) are cheaper in the UK and I use Ebay extensively and have the stuff shipped over.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific queries and I'll do my best to help.

hotrod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
Garry is correct in what he says.
Spanish brands are usually good value electrically. However you can pay a premium over here for some international brands. Lidl offers are often good value, but at times the instructions are in every language except English! However spare parts are expensive because you pay a lot for delivery!
Getting service on a warranty can be difficult . I had a problem, when I needed to change a key board on a computer. Under warranty they would only fit a Spanish style- not a qwerty one, unless I paid for the import.!
In summary before importing: check that you get a full international warranty, & not return to base: return to base transport can be expensive. Check that there are English instructions available, on line at least ( not always the case.)
Washing machines & white goods are possibly cheaper over here. Some of the newer electrical items may not be available yet in Spain. For instance, Sound bars have only just started to appear in the local store Lopez in Antas!
Hope these comments may be of use.

stewNsusie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »
thanks for the answers, most helpful. I hadn't thought about the warranty bit.  I wasn't sure about the postal service as I only stayed on urbanisations and couldn't see how anything lager than a letter was delivered.

Cheers

Stew
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:30:05 PM by stewNsusie »