Author Topic: New car hire requirement for UK driving licences  (Read 4018 times)

yorkshireman

• Offline Offline
New car hire requirement for UK driving licences
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
You may not be aware of this new requirement which takes effect today, 8th June 2015.

With the withdrawal of paper copy driving licences, you may be asked by car hire firms for a code which allows them to check your penalty points. You have to request the code online, and it is only valid for 3 days from issue. It seems like you may also be able to download a pdf copy of your details, otherwise you might need Internet access at the airport. See the link below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32916968

Regards
Andrew

James

• Offline Offline
Re: New car hire requirement for UK driving licences
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »
Just to add, Northern Ireland licences are exempt from this. We still have a two-part licence, the photo card and the paper counterfoil, listing offences.

Of course, I was a bit concerned that the car-hire people might not be aware of this, so I'd printed out pages from the BBC & DVLA stating that N.I was exempt, fearing that I might be asked for the code by staff who maybe hadn't been briefed correctly regarding this apparent anomaly.

Not to worry: no one asked or looked for the paper counterfoil or requested the online code (what a disaster, though, that is! Who, other than business people, are likely to be away for three days? Well done, UK government & DVLA for cocking that up!)

Still, I will be taking the print outs with me again in September, just as some evidence of there being no need, in my case, for an online code. Hopefully, in 2016, this idiocy will have been sorted so that people can get a code valid for 14 days or more. Just in time for us all landing at Corvera. We will be landing at Corvera, won't we? Won't we?  :D

CandL

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:58:03 PM »
I assumed that the code only lasting for 72 hours just means that you need to obtain this just before you go so that when you hire for a week or 2 the hire company know that at the time of hiring your license is clean - and good for your hire period - but like all these new rules - it is not clear to all, and half the time never asked for or used by Spanish hire  - I think the hire companies are too busy trying to get you to buy their extra insurance or charging over the odds for fuel!

kandj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »
Is it definitely the case that paper licences continue to be OK? I know they show the penalty points but I have to confess that every time I use it to hire a car I expect to have it rejected. The old gimmer in me however refuses to accept change until it's forced upon me  :-\

I'll be picking up a car from Murcia in October so just want to double check if there's anything I should be doing beforehand.

Thanks

Jonesy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »
I was in France the weekend prior to the change and the car hire company weren't interested in the paper part of the licence anyway. I'm coming out to VP at the beginning of September so I will get my code and present is as required but it would seem that this is another of those awkward arrangements which just affect the majority of us in the UK. You can be sure if you don't get the code you'll definitely be required to provide it.

yorkshireman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
The BBC report today that the DVLA have relaxed their rule, following complaints of delay and confusion at car hire offices.

The codes will now be valid for 3 weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33475879

Apparently the new rules do not apply in Northern Ireland

kind regards
Andrew

Jonesy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »
Just read the same report. Thank goodness a sensible solution seems to have been arrived at.