Author Topic: tourist train along calle ciudad de tarragona 'we're not a zoo!'  (Read 9908 times)

Sheona

• Offline Offline
Will the neighbourhood association be the forum with enough clout to stop the tourist train from bringing rude voyeurs into the naturist zone? It has suddenly re-routed itself from the main carretera garrucha-villaricos down along avenida ciudad de castellon and calle cuidad de tarragona to 'hotel street' calle ciudad de barcelona.
while enjoying a drink on the balcony of our parquevera 5 apartment the other day, we were subjected to a trainload of ignorant pensioners whistling and catcalling, making rude gestures and what made it worse was the train driver looked to be pointing their attention to us! We're not 'monkeys in a cage', and find this new route and the abysmal behaviour of the tourists both disturbing and distressing.
the naturist zone is not gated, and presumably the roads are public rights of way, but a 'wally-trolley' full of gawping people in search of the cheap thrill of seeing naked people in their natural environment is an infringement of our general privacy! if people choose to drive down the zone for voyeuristic purposes, that is one thing, but the regular invasion of trainloads of puerile prudes is a disgrace and I hope we will be able to force the train back onto the main road, and regain our peace and relative privacy. If not, it could end in a public fracas at some point in the not too distant future!

mrtoulemonde

Re: tourist train along calle ciudad de tarragona 'we're not a zoo!'
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »
I agree completely with your feelings but unfortunatly we are in a minority group.The watchers are the same as those who walk on hot days along the beach at vera with swimsuits on and never have that little  felling that pushes them to go naturiste.It is sad to see people of a certain age who are not free in their own minds and body.This said there are many reasons  why, upbringing ,  age , timidness , or plain scared to go the full 18 yards.
              We are in vera and its naturiste but  I can assure you the atitude has not changed in thirty 36 years. I say this as in 1974 in yugoslavia on the naturistes beachs we suffered the same treatment , but from boats  full of touristes.
The captain would shout out "white bikini " to draw the attention of everyone on the boat to the people who have white tan marks as if he had just seen Moby Dick.Of course this is disturbing at first  but we found if you wave back or show your bums ,the thrill so dies down .We managed to get all the beach to stand up and turn around and wriggle our bums at them .This soon put the captains off  from coming in too close.
I dont know and never found out whether it was our rears or embassesment that drove them away.
I guess we have to suffer this kind of ignorance  even if means going inside for a few minutes while the animal train goes by or sit , suffer and smile.

Sheona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
I've lived in the zone for 10 years, and accept that there are some ignorant thrill seekers who will drive, cycle or walk through - but they are not an organised hourly tour!
Of course we may attempt to ignore them, or confine our freedom to stand, stroll or sit where we may be viewed, but why should we?!
Also, how will it ultimately affect rentals when part-time naturists or holiday makers feel perhaps embaressed, intimitated or infuriated? We can ill-afford to lose income.
It's not yet June, and the trolleys are variably full or empty, the imposition will probably increase during the peak season and i wonder whether it is the driver's decicion to re-route, or the company's? Maybe I'm in a minority about finding the tourist train offensive and invasive, as nobody else has commented, but I do intend to register an official complaint.

mrtoulemonde

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »
good for you , and I agree stand up for what you believe is right. Only in some cases its like trying to catch clouds with a pickfork

seth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
The train does that route as Vera Natura hotel is one of the stops to pick up passengers

Bazza

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »
I would definitely like to add my support to an official complaint. We often stay in an apartment in Bahia de Vera (infact we are coming again next week) overlooking the road and it is not very nice to hear all the jeering that goes on. Last year whilst walking (naked) down the beach in early evening a whole gang of yobs in a beaten up BMW drove past me shouting abuse (I assume it was abuse as it was all in Spanish but the tone was abusive). That really is a very unpleasant experience. In future when I walk down the beach in the evening I shall wear a sarong though I shouldn't have to! >:(

Sheona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
Seth, the tourist train used to take the main road and then go down hotel street to the hotel, I am requesting that it use that route rather than disrupting suburban naturist life.
Bazza, thank you for your support, we shouldn't have to tolerate abuse within the designated zone, but unfortunately textiles don't always agree.

I have emailed Vera town hall and left a letter in Garrucha asking who issues the licence for the train. If I do not receive an answer in the next couple of days, I will be going in and making more direct enquiries, complaints etc

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »
I'm a bit torn on this one, I have always quite liked the fact that we are not a 'gated community' - like a load of lepers!  I admit, when walking about the streets I tend to wear a pareo unless 'poco piripi' -when I couldn't give a damn if the odd voyeur finds me interesting!  I suppose the biggest problem is that the tourist train is used by tourists!  And they change all the time!  So they won't get like regular bus passengers and regard the people in the naturist zone as a bit unusual - but after a few weeks they soon got used to us!  They are  a bit sad, don't you think?  Is the train running all day now?  Last year it didn't start till 8pm and you could hear it coming if you wanted to whip on a pareo, or a friendly smile and wave!  We did use it on several occasions to travel to Garrucha and liked the fact that it stopped in front of Vera Natura.  But I do accept your point, for the driver to be pointing out the 'nudies' is totally unacceptable, but when we used the train there was no means of communication between the driver and passengers!  The odd loutish yob (of any age) - is something all naturists have to put up with, unless behind 10 feet walls.  We used to stay on a fabulous naturist campsite in the Dordogne for many years, the local holiday village had helicopter ride to look at us!  Weird! I bet nobody paid to do it twice, not nearly interesting enough!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

Sheona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:26:45 PM »
I don't think we should be 'gated', but neither do I think that a tourist train should be routed through the zone. As it passes Apart hotel Reina, and hotel Zimbali, maybe they think its justified to go through the zone as it is also in its way a tourist area as well as residential, but if someone is a naturist or has an interest in staying there they will do so off their own initiative, I think it would strike an even attitude between service ( I thought Baraza had taken them up about pick ups and drop offs?? a bit rich given the paucity of bus service, especially in the evening, when this is running now from after 6) and tourist area interest if it turned left at the resuarants Fado, Mayo 2004 and up past consum, and along the main road to turn down to the hotel. maybe i'm in a minority among a minority - maybe my balcony is unusually visible to the road, but anyway, this morning I went up to Vera and lodged my letter of complaint as I had not received any response to the email enquiry I sent them. Lets see what happens...

pamnbru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
Talks have been had with the owner of the train. The driver and guide have been told not to encourage bad behavour and hopefully there will soon be posters on the train advising passengers to respect the rights of naturists (in Spanish and English). If you witness any bad behavour, please let Luis know at Puntonat so that he can talk to the owner again.

Sheona

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
That's hopeful news Pam, but I've just emailed Luis to let him know that my current tenants, who have holidayed here for many years, have complained about the frequent disturbance of the train ringing its 'dingaling' bell as it passes along Calle Ciudad de Tarragona, It didn't used to do this, only sounding its whistle at the hotel stop...
We were round there last night, and at dusk, with only 2 people on board, sure enough it was dingalinging its way along the road1 they say it also happens regularly on the hours of darkness runs too...
a completely unnecessary disturbance, in my opnion, and we'd be still happier if they would reroute back along calle cuidad del Castell?n, but lets see....

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
Sheona, it always 'dingalinged' its way past Torremar, Bahia, Vera Natura/La Menara, and up Av de Castellon.  Quite useful if you want to whip a Pareo on!  It's a happy, holiday sound.  They are only trying to attract customers, surely? 
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

cornelia

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
Well said, thank you for the positive attitude :)

James

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »
That's hopeful news Pam, but I've just emailed Luis to let him know that my current tenants, who have holidayed here for many years, have complained about the frequent disturbance of the train ringing its 'dingaling' bell as it passes along Calle Ciudad de Tarragona, It didn't used to do this, only sounding its whistle at the hotel stop...

I guess there's several ways to look at this issue.

1. The bells and whistles let people who may want to use it know that its arrival is imminent and it's time to drink up that drink or lock the apartment and scurry down to road. In that respect, fine. The clanging of bells, while sitting at Frankie's or the Corner Bar has, on more than one occasion, seen us drain our glasses in order to catch the wretched little thing!

2. As others have pointed out, it announcing its presence allows one to whip on a pareo. But, then, why would we (unless Consuming) even be thinking of carrying a pareo in our area? Personally speaking, I know we've never bothered with pareos, sarongs, shorts or anything else for our post-prandial, digestive-aiding, aimless, evening strolls. If we've heard the train coming, we've tended to nip down the walkways between La Menara and Bahia, for example. Or made ourselves scarce from view. Yes, I know that we shouldn't necessarily think this way, but the fact is that the train does bring with it what I call nudie-tourists, whose presence on it seems very much only for the opportunity to gawp at the local wildlife. As the train appears to regularly carry such emotionally stunted people, it strikes me that the ride is very much, somewhere, being flagged up as 'the chance of a lifetime to see naked people wandering around the streets'. I should hope that this isn't the case, but obviously word is out that 'cor, mate, you wanna go and see the nooooooodists' is part of the train operator, or tour operator's (?) general sales pitch. I know that there is a practice in America called 'Amtrak mooning', where participants bare their bottoms at passing trains, in organised groups. Quite what the purpose or satisfaction gained is hard to fathom, but it takes all sorts to make a world. I dunno...should we organise a tourist train mooning and assemble to moon the train each time it turns up?  :D That's not a serious suggestion, incidentally, as we know how that would end up. 'Lewd behaviour by naturists!' splashed all over the local papers. Yet we are expected to put up with loutish behaviour most times it passes by? Why? I agree with John and Maureen that it's a happy, holiday sound, only attempting to attract customers, but the behaviour of its passengers, perhaps groups of young people holidaying in the hotels up along Mojacar Playa(?) needs addressed.

3. A regular timetable would be helpful. If we can be more certain of the times, and don't wish to be observed, gawped at, photographed or jeered at, then we can plan, to a large degree, our on-street activities accordingly. Ideally, the thing to do would be have the train make stops at the water park and the Hotel Street roundabout, via the main road. There is no need whatsoever for it to come into the Zona Naturista, which isn't so large that any of us can't reach either the water park or Hotel Street within about ten minutes walk. By all means let textiles disembark and walk the zone. On foot they are much more likely to be reflective in their approach to naturists, rather than from the vantage point of the train itself. We're aware that we will always occasionally encounter dressed people in the zone, but I regard this as perfectly acceptable because a couple or a group of four are much less likely to engage in boorish behaviour, and their curiosity may simply lead to the conclusion that it's all rather ordinary and normal. If people want to see the Zone, great, but let them do it on foot as opposed to having a guide on a nude safari.

4. Groups of young men (usually young men), in cars, are simply a hazard of the lifestyle. Our own experience -although I'm sure others can say otherwise- that this is often a Saturday night experience, when the Zone seems to take on a slightly more battened-down vibe. Six nights a week it's the most relaxed place on earth, but Saturdays just have a different 'feel' to them. We aren't resident, so we cannot comment on the longer term experience, but the testosterone-in-cars experience seems largely confined to Avenues Tortuga and Castellon (straight down, round the roundabout, and back out again), although maybe the through road between Tarragon and Hotel Street will alter this adolescent 'tour'.

Yulia and Sergey

• Offline Offline
    • www.vera-playa-apartment.es
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Why don't change traffic direction on Calle Naturaleza? What kinds of official approvals are required for this?

Another way is we would restrict the passing on the ground that we organize kid plays on the street and around, and we are not going to turn it to be a pedophile show (like it is very much so when clothed people pass by and watch naked kids).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:27:44 AM by Y_and_S_happy_in_vn »
yulia & sergey