Author Topic: Currency exchange in Vera playa  (Read 19759 times)

Firsttimevisitor

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
Currency exchange in Vera playa
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »
Hi. I am completely new to all this and have never actually posted a message on a forum before. I am visiting Vera playa in paraiso de Vera apartments via holiday lettings in the first two weeks in August, and although I have searched the Internet I can't seem to find any information about currency exchange within Vera playa. We normally bring sterling travellers cheques and exchange them in hotels,bars or shops. Please can anyone let me know if,and where I would be able to do this?

Thanks in advance.

pamnbru

• Offline Offline
Re: Currency exchange in Vera playa
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
I wouldn?t recommend bringing travellrers cheques, I can?t think of anyone here who would be prepared to change them. I would suggest bringing some euros with you and then use your hole-in-the-wall card as you need more. Many shops and bars accept debit cards, exchange rate may not be brilliant. If you are in Consum and want to use your card, you?ll need your passport for ID.

Firsttimevisitor

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
Thanks for replying so quickly. Re the hole in the wall, is there one in Vera playa?  What cards? Also the Internet seemed to imply that the big hotel on hotel street had currency exchange facilities. Is that just for residents do you know?

Seaside Nick (was Seaside Naturist)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
Thanks for replying so quickly. Re the hole in the wall, is there one in Vera playa?  What cards? Also the Internet seemed to imply that the big hotel on hotel street had currency exchange facilities. Is that just for residents do you know?

Last time we were there (Oct'11) you had to go to Puerto del Rey (see Map http://www.veraplayafriends.com/forum/index.php/page,3.html, Euro symbol) or Villaricos. The PdR one was being repaired when we went to use it and I think we found another just round the corner on the road into Garrucca.

If you can get cash on your card in the UK you can use it anywhere else in the world.

A lot of people think that you get a poor ex-rate but that is not our experience.

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
I think you might struggle a bit with Travellers Cheques,  I think they have largely been superseded. 
The cheapest alternative is a pre-paid euro currency card, I think they are very secure and I think you can load them with euros at a time when you choose your exchange rate.  You can draw money out with them and pay for goods.
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-money/
Don't bring out loads of money unless you are sure that your apartment is secure.  Check with who you have booked it with.  Questions to ask are "Does it have Rejas?" (pronounced Rekas)  "Does it have a safe?"  Do not carry lots of money around with you, particularly in the markets, and don't leave your money in a bag on the beach when you go for a swim,  and lock your apartment door or rejas on Patio doors when you go for a swim in the Urbanisation pool .  it's all simple common sense and if every holiday maker was sensible there would be fewer opportunities for casual theiving,  and fewer opportunist thieves.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:59:22 PM by John and Maureen Berry »
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

Firsttimevisitor

• Newbie Member
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
I know it's horrible.my son had his pocket money stolen from his bedside drawer in lanzarote a couple of years ago. No break in. This person was a key holder! It spoilt our holiday but we are more careful now!

Lindsay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »
I've had problems cashing Euro travellers cheques as well. The website of the travellers cheque issuers even listed branches which were supposed to cash them commission free, but the banks refused to cash them, and when we finally found a bank that did, they charged about ?9 to change 300 Euros. The Post Office no longer sells Euro travellers cheques, as a previous comment said the prepaid card is taking over.  Another benefit with the Pre paid Travel Money card is that you just use it like a debit/credit card in shops and restaurants, no need to worry about making a special trip to get a pocketful of money, more than you normally need which means going back to the apartment to put the surplus in the safe. I've used a Travel money card for a few years now and found it very handy.

Also on the point of the safe in the apartment, we bought a Pacsafe a few years ago. This is a bag with a steel mesh in the lining and a steel cable round the neck that you can secure with a small padlock, supplied with the Pacsafe. You can put the cable round something secure before locking it. As well as using it in the apartment we would also take it out when we were in the car, this meant that when we were out we could leave things in the car, apartment keys, passports, etc, handy when you visit places like the water park and you don't want to carry too much.