Author Topic: PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO AND FROM ALMERIA AIRPORT  (Read 12778 times)

andynpatti

• Offline Offline
PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO AND FROM ALMERIA AIRPORT
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
Last week we travelled from Vera to Almeria by bus and thought others might want to hear how easy it was. The bus from Vera bus station was dead on time ... it was a Euroline bus that was en route from Barcelona. We bought tickets from the ticket office at the bus station which were only about 7.90 euros. The bus was nearly full so maybe purchasing well in advance would be a good idea... especially in high season. The journey took just over an hour to the bus station in Vera. Some buses can take 2 hours
The timetable can be found here:
http://www.alsa.es/portal/sit
At the Almeria bus station we were not given good advice on where to get the airport bus. In fact the stop is just outside the bus station and is a number 20 bus. The stop is just outside the railway station. Buses are every 50 minutes, cost a couple of euros and take about 40 minutes...... they stop a lot!!
First bus 7.05 then at 50 minute intervals till 22.05 then the last at 22.45
At weekends and holidays buses are 6.40   8.05  9.35  11.05   12.35   14.05    15.35    17.05    18.35     20.05     21.35 and 22.45
Buses from the airport to Almeria town start at 7.30 and are every 50 minutes till 22.33. Weekends and hols once again less frequent.

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
Re: PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO AND FROM ALMERIA AIRPORT
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
Thanks for that, AndynPatti, very informative.  Pauline from La Menara arrived by bus yesterday and took the 2 hour bus and thoroughly enjoyed the sightseeing trip!  It went via Tabernas, Carbonaras, through beautiful countryside.  She advised getting off at Garrucha rather than Vera, save a bit of time and the bus runs hourly from Garrucha to Vera Playa, and plenty of bars and cafes on Garrucha sea-front while you wait for the Baraza bus.  Tony is doing a detailed summary of public transport to and from all 3 airports which I hope will soon be on the main web-page, I will ask him to check that his Almeria info is as up to date as yours.
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

albert

• Offline Offline
  • Albert Lookalike
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
What a good idea to have an A to Z of public transport from Vera Playa to the three airports. Personally, I may not have occasion to use it. But, you never know. I already know more now then I used to by reading andynpatti's post.

Dotty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »
I agree, very good idea. There may be a time when I might need the information. I would assume that when the train system finally arrives the journey from any of the airports, by public transport, will take half the time. The cost could be quite high though.
Haven't heard much about the progress of the train for quite a while. Could take a good few years yet.

andynpatti

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:18 AM »
Wow ... I've just noticed my post has been read 101 times!!! I think I shall become a travel writer. I like the idea of an A-Z of public transport on here as most times we will be on bikes only. It just seems excessive (and pricey) to own cars in UK and Spain. Has anyone considered a car share club? I suspect if I had a car at Vera I'd want to use it maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I bet there are others in the same position. Sharing tax, insurance, repairs etc could be the way to go.

John and Maureen Berry

• admin
  • Offline Offline
    • La Menara
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »
The train line is in progress.  As you go down the motorway to Almeria there is a new electricity sub-station to the left that has been built to power the massive tunnelling machine (the biggest machine in Europe) and you can see huge cranes and work on a viaduct and tunnel.  Apparently there is a detailed map somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it.  So the train is coming, and it will be brilliant.  We travelled on the AVE from Badrid to Seville and Barcelona to Alicante - definitely the best way to travel, fast, smooth. plenty of space, can't wait!
Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

rosa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:11:14 AM by Alan - The Webmaster »

pamnbru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
Just had a holiday maker arrive by taxi (shuttle) from Almeria airport - cost 77UKP return. I?ve checked out the website and for a person on his own it?s very reasonable, not so good if more than one person. Have a look at http://www.holidaytaxis.com.

He booked it as a shuttle service, but was the only one booked on it so had a taxi to himself.

Price varies depending on season

andynpatti

• Offline Offline
But MURCIA looks a lot tougher by public transport
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »
... we're coming in through Murcia in June and research on the net suggests its not easy / quick to get to VP by bus. We're now hiring a car which works out cheaper than a taxi return ride. Its Almeria flights for me in future.

Adrian_Brown

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »
Since 2001 I have been writing to various people trying to ask why a bus service isn't in place at Almeria Airport to Mojacar/Garrucha/Vera.  I am talking a twice daily service say 11am and 3pm.

The general feedback is that the car hire firms and taxi firms at Almeria Airport have too strong an influence.  This isn't the case at Alicante or Malaga airports, both much more succesful than Murcia or Almeria.

Can you imagine Gatwick or Heathrow or any regional UK airport with nothing more than 1 bus an hour into the local city centre.  There would be outrage.  The kind of situation at Almeria Airport is only found usually in 3rd World Countries or Developing countries. 

If you take a look at Almeria Airport.  I would say that 80% of footfall is either visiting the Mojacar area (I include Garrucha, Vera Playa, Vera, Turre, Villaricos in this) or the Roquetas Area (including Almerimar).   So these small pockets could be supplied by just 2 bus routes.  It makes complete sense.

So we have a situation where the tourist areas are crying out for more business at a time when Almeria Airport is doing nothing to help.  It increases its fees which has put off airlines and refuses to build transport links because it is afraid of taxi and car hire firms.  It really is unbelievable.

Adrian_Brown

• Offline Offline
Re: Public transport to and from Almeria Airport
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »
Just as an aside we were told that the cheapest way to get from Almeria Airport to our house last Spring was to book one of the hotels via First Choice and then take advantage of the transfer service from the airprt to the hotel and then simply not stay in the hotel and go to our house, returning the morning of departure.  

Total cost of hotel (Self Catering) for the two of us (inc transfer) ?152   Total cost of taxi ?291

I believe there is now a shuttle service that works out at about ?160 for the 2 of us, but it was still cheaper to just book a hotel.

This kind of crazy situation makes a laughing stock of the seriousness the local authorities put on tourism and the local bars and restaurants.  They need regular bus services from the airport to the area and a taxi rank in Mojacar.  It is as simple as that, both will bring more tourists and more punters eating and drinking in town (a couple could then go out and have a nice meal and bottle of wine without worrying about driving )    
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:14:22 PM by Alan - The Webmaster »